Thursday, December 17, 2009

I Stole Popcorn Chicken and a Donut from Walmart: Part I

Yep. It's true. Okay...technically, it was more like we stole it, then returned it, then bought it. Intrigued???

Today we went grocery shopping at Walmart. We loaded up the cart with items from all around the store and then got in line to check out. I almost always have a panick attack when I get to the checkout line thinking that I forgot my wallet, or my card, or somehow don't have a way to pay for the groceries, and today was no different...

Except, when I zipped opened my wallet, one side was completely empty. I had no cash, no credit cards (that weren't expired at least), no bank card, nothing. A vague memory of Alex going through my wallet and then zipping it up and putting it back in my purse yesterday came into my mind. I sat down on the 'courtesy' bench and dialed every number I knew. No one answered. I swallowed several times trying to get the huge lump out of my throat and stared up at the ceiling hoping away the tears that were welling up.

How can I explain this? Not to complain, but it is an effort to grocery shop with my lovely children. And most of the time I really don't mind the effort. But doing something once is one thing. Doing something once, and then immediately turning around and doing the whole thing all over again...that's something quite different. That turns my 'something pretty handleable' into something NOT handleable. I found myself in my unhandleable situation...and I had to deal with it.

I stood up, went to the cart lady, explained what happened and said I would be back in the next 45 minutes. I neglected to tell her we had all eaten a cup of popcorn chicken (Grace included)...and I neglected to tell her Alex had eaten half of a donut...and that the other half was in my purse. We all walked out of Walmart, drove home screaming and crying, snatched up my ID and credit card from the kitchen floor, and were back off to Walmart.

So, really, we really only stole these items for about an hour. By the way, the rest of the donut is still in my purse somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment