Saturday, October 23, 2010

St. Michael's Day!

So, at my church growing up (St. Michael and St. George), we celebrated St. Michael's Day every year on the last Sunday in September. Instead of us kids going to the 'little' church, we went to into the 'big' church with our parents. The highlight of this celebration is the BAGPIPES!!!
I have a special place in my heart for bagpipes and I've never known why...until this very Sunday.
This Sunday I brought my husband and my two children into a family tradition I hadn't realized existed. In my family, St. Michael's Day was always happy and joyous. We were together (in the aformentioned big church), there was happy heart pounding music, there was no judgement, no pressure, no whatever else. Nothing negative. Just the four of us, sitting together in a pew, listening to the service.
These are the experiences that make a family. So on this very Sunday this year, I sat in a pew with my mother, my husband, and my two healthy and happy children.
All I could feel was blessed...and very, very lucky.



I talked to my brother on the phone who became immediately excited. I told him how I had been waiting until the children were old enough so that the loudness wouldn't scare them and how great they did. I told him it would be fun to make it a family tradition to come up every year from the Lake to go to the service.
His response: Perhaps it should be a family tradition for us all.
And so it goes...


And to top it all off, this picture captures my brother's favorite part of this Sunday which I had forgotten about...it's COOKIE day in the Great Hall after the service!
When I first told John we were there for St. Michael's Day and how awesome it was his immediate reply was, "Ah man, I bet it was a cookie day too!"
Indeed it was, my friend, indeed it was.



No comments:

Post a Comment