Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11


If you had asked me eight years ago if I would ever be married with kids, I probably would have said, “only in my wildest dreams.” If you had asked me eight years ago if I would ever have questioned my personal security as an American I would have said, “Only in my worst nightmares.”

Today I find myself with not only an amazing husband, but also two incredibly awesome miracles I call my children. Today I also find myself remembering September 11, 2001 as though it were yesterday, waking up and watching CNN from bed just in time to see the second plane hitting the South Tower of the World Trade Center.

This morning when I woke up my thoughts were clear. I am living a gifted life. I am not worried about where our next meal will come from, nor am I worried about our children suffering from exposure from the elements. I do find myself pondering many other thoughts such as who I am supposed to be, what my place is in this world, and especially today, how can I serve our community, country, and our world? The answer to all of my questions is simple. It is for ALL parents. What we give to our community, country, and this world is an amazing future: intellectual capital, through our children.

It is our responsibility to teach our children right and wrong, to understand love and hate, to drive for excellence in scholastic accomplishments. It is our job to pick them up when they fall down, help them understand the eccentricities of life, and teach them to hold their heads high justifiably because they will help to create a world of peace.

Peace does not come from balanced books. It does not come from markets. It does not come from Democratic elections. It does not come from the glory of a well versed speech or a stoic silent leader. Peace comes from the understanding of others. The understanding of others comes from our children. Our children come from us.

So, tonight I will go to sleep thinking of the gift given to me by the 2,974 lives lost because, while I did not know a single one of them, they have greatly impacted my life by helping me realize who I want to be, and what I can do for them, and for our country. And because of that realization, those 2,974 lives have impacted my children proving, that while lives were lost, their spirits are living on.

No comments:

Post a Comment